Tiffany Studios gilt bronze neoclassical desk lamp. A rather large and important two light Bronze and Brass desk lamp designed by Tiffany & Co during the roaring 1920’s. This lamp would make a statement of class and power in any office or study and give a beautiful glowing light. In excellent antique condition with wear commensurate of age and use.
Art Deco neoclassical design, circa 1920.
Stamped TIFFANY & CO., NEW YORK
Measures: Height: 19.2 Inches. Width: 15.25 Inches Depth: 5.25 Inches
Founded in 1837 by Charles Lewis Tiffany and John B. Young in Brooklyn, Connecticut, as a “stationery and fancy goods emporium”, the store initially sold a wide variety of stationery items, and operated as “Tiffany, Young and Ellis” as of 1838 at 259 Broadway in Lower Manhattan. The name was shortened to Tiffany & Company in 1853, when Charles Tiffany took control and established the firm’s emphasis on jewelry. The company has since opened stores in major cities all over the world. Unlike other stores at the time in the 1830s, Tiffany clearly marked the prices on its goods to forestall any haggling over prices. In addition, against the social norm at the time, Tiffany only accepted cash payments, and did not allow purchases on credit. Such practices (fixed prices for ready money) were first introduced in 1750 by Palmer’s of London Bridge, who later employed the young Robert Owen, a social reformer.