A fine Tiffany Favrile glass and bronze apple blossom table lamp, Tiffany Studios, New York, circa 1910 Art Nouveau. The domical leaded glass shade with an overall pattern of apple blossoms in pink and white striated opalescent glass, the leaves and branches in shades of green against a ground of mottled green glass. The shade impressed with applied tag “Tiffany Studios New York”. The shade rests on a cast bronze base with a cradled torpedo urn formed body atop a square foot. Three- original socket cluster. Signed underfoot with the Tiffany monogram. Beautiful floral colors and form.
Overall height 22 inches.
Shade diameter 16 inches
Provenance: Heritage Auctions Dallas Texas, May 24th 2006. Auction #631.
Condition: Very good with only 4 heat cracks and 1 flaked panel. Very slight warp. Wear commensurate of age and use. Rewired with switch.
Tiffany Studios was a glassmaking company established by Louis Comfort Tiffany in 1885. The studio created multi-colored, textured, opalescent stained glass, primarily used for windows and lamps. In 1893, Tiffany Glass Furnaces was built in Queens, NY, creating a type of blown glass, called Favrile. This glass was used in the construction of all Tiffany Studios designs.
One of the first lamps designed by the company was exhibited at the 1893 World’s Fair in Chicago. In 1894, the company trademarked Favrile to prevent other studios from copying the design. Clara Driscoll was the designer that created each of the designs for Tiffany lamps, though it was originally thought that Louis Comfort Tiffany created the designs himself. Tiffany Studios closed in 1930, just before the death of its founder in 1933. Today, Tiffany Lamps creates reproduction lamps based off the old designs from Tiffany Studios. In 2006, a major exhibition of the work of Tiffany Studios opened at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.