A great Geometric Tiffany Studios table lamp, circa 1910
From the Art Nouveau era comes this simple yet elegant Tiffany Studios lamp. The shade with monochromatic glass panels align to make a geometric pattern emitting a wonderful warm green hue atop a 3 cluster bronze Colonial Tiffany Studios base.
Shade signed “TIFFANY STUDIOS NEW YORK “
Base signed “TIFFANY STUDIOS NEW YORK 534”
Measures: Shade diameter 16 inches Lamp height 22 inches
Condition: Very good. Shade with maybe 6 cracked panels. Losses to patina on shade and base commensurate of age and use.
Tiffany glass refers to the many and varied types of glass developed and produced from 1878-1933 at the Tiffany Studios in New York, by Louis Comfort Tiffany and a team of other designers, including Frederick Wilson and Clara Driscoll. In 1865, Tiffany traveled to Europe, and in London he visited the Victoria and Albert Museum, whose extensive collection of Roman and Syrian glass made a deep impression on him. He admired the coloration of medieval glass and was convinced that the quality of contemporary glass could be improved upon. In his own words, the “Rich tones are due in part to the use of pot metal full of impurities, and in part to the uneven thickness of the glass, but still more because the glass maker of that day abstained from the use of paint”.
Tiffany was an interior designer, and in 1878 his interest turned towards the creation of stained glass, when he opened his own studio and glass foundry because he was unable to find the types of glass that he desired in interior decoration. His inventiveness both as a designer of windows and as a producer of the material with which to create them was to become renowned.
Tiffany wanted the glass itself to transmit texture and rich colors and he developed a type of glass he called “Favrile”. The glass was manufactured at the Tiffany factory located at 96-18 43rd Avenue in the Corona section of Queens from 1901-1932.