Shoulder length portrait of young lady in classical gown with laurel leaf wreath in hair.
Manufacturer: C.M. Hutschenreuther
signed lower right “Wagner”
Stamped on back “12” over circle with “CR” with painted titled “Daphne”
Oval Porcelain Plaque in Brass frame
Width: 4 inches
Height: 5.25 inches
Carved wood and gilt frame (with several cracks but stabile)
Width: 9 inches (23 cm)
Height: 12 inches (30 cm)
Carolus Magnus Hutschenreuther (9 April 1794–10 November 1845) was a German industrialist and the founder of the C.M. Hutschenreuther Porcelain Factory in Hohenberg an der Eger, Bavaria.
Carolus Magnus Hutschenreuther was born in Lichte (Wallendorf), Thuringia, the 15th child of Johann Heinrich Hutschenreuther, a porcelain painter and owner of the Wallendorf Porcelain Manufactory. He earned his living selling porcelain items such as pipe-bowls and so-called Turkish cups in eastern Bavaria and especially in the spa towns of Bohemia Where KPM also manufactured.
In 1814, Hutschenreuther discovered deposits of kaolin, used to make Fine white porcelain, near the River Eger, and decided to manufacture porcelain himself in Hohenberg, where a relative of his, Ernst Ludwig Reuß, was a chief forester. Reuß made space available to him in Hohenburg Castle, and he began painting porcelain there and learning to manufacture it. In 1816 he married Reuß’ daughter Johanna.